Tuesday, November 24, 2009

PLEASE SPARE THE ROD...

art by Marianne Stokes
~
The hardest stone
stern will beguiled
all washed away
in the tears of a child.

My hand is stayed
I failed my part
your tear filled eyes
have torn my heart.

DSW 09

3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Oooooh, heartwrenching!

I remember when my eldest, knowing better, had gotten into my lipstick, and covered everything with red--which would not come out. She'd been reprimanded before, so she KNEW she was doing the wrong thing.

I had to follow through with the punishment I had promised. With tears streaming down my face, I sat on the stairs with her in my arms and told her why I had to follow through. I cried and so did she as I proceded. Afterward we sat and wept together.

Years later she told me the punishment really hadn't hurt. What hurt worst was seeing MY tears--she resolved never to make me cry again. Well, she did make me cry again--but that was the last spanking I ever had to give her.

Deann said...

One spanking is all I could ever stand to give, it hurt me way more then it hurt him.
This wonderful painting reminds me of that heart wrenching experience. I just love her sweet little face.

Clytie said...

When my twins, approx. age 5, got into my fabric puff-paints and painted the dog, I came downstairs to find them hiding ... tears flowing from the knowledge that they had done wrong.

They never got that richly-deserved spanking though ... I couldn't stop laughing long enough to administer it. Plus I had to shave the dog. It still makes me smile.