
Have I Given you a Valentine Lately
~
I don't believe in Valentines,
they are young and vulnerable
and hopelessly old fashion.
Valentines are for
sentimental sentimentalists,
romantic romantics,
and those who still believe in
happy endings
I am at the point in life where
I know how the story ends
And when the nights grow cold,
and so I do not expect
Lace slips,
Surprise trips,
Cherry flips,
or tender little poems
because it is That day.
Instead I want my Valentines
at unexpected times.
I want to know what you think of me in
Mid-May, March, and June.
For I believe,
My dear,
One day a year is not enough for love.
~
Lois Wyse
~
My sentiments exactly...I find holidays like Valentines Day and Mothers Day annoying because I don't enjoy receiving obligatory gifts. That is exactly what holidays have been turned in to by retail and advertising...occasions where the men in our lives feel obligated to buy us gifts...(through fear and coercion LOL) I would much rather receive a heartfelt dandelion on any day of the year then the mandatory dozen red roses for Valentines...tell me how you feel.
2 comments:
Amen, amen, amen!!!
Although I have to admit some of my most favorite gifts were Valentines gifts ... and I mean the time I got FLANNEL PJs and the other time I got a carpet shampooer. Silly, but these meant more to me than the 'obligatory' chocolate!!!
I used to love the gorgeous hearts of candy Dad would bring home. I saved them and they're in a box in the attic stuffed with a girl's sentimental thoughts.
This Valentines Day I enjoyed putting up the cards on my blog--but as far as anything else all I got for Valentine's Day were some Mardigra beads from the sausage fest. Hahahaa...not bad, I'd say...oop I forgot to mention the wonderful hazelnut brittle my hubby bought for me.
It wasn't the typical Valentine's Day, that's for sure. I didn't really mind, either.
Post a Comment