It is 102 degrees here, and so I sit in my air conditioned house and whine, and run for my car where I can adjust the temp to within a degree of my own personal delight grumbling as I go.
Hard to believe I am a descendant of more then a dozen men and women who after traveling (mostly on foot) 1500 hot, cold, dusty miles, actually arrived in what was then an empty desert valley (one twisted cedar tree in the whole valley) on this very week in 1847. I wonder how they spent their days in that heat as they established shelter for themselves. (I know they started plowing as soon as they arrived) And then I think of how it would be to spend a 102 degree day inside a log cabin. And I am grateful and in awe of their strength and commitment, because I know if it had been me back then...my descendants would still be in Ireland.
So today as I sit in my air conditioned house I will smile and think to myself it's too #$%@ HOT!!
3 comments:
Oh you are so right! Our house isn't air conditioned; my car has 4-60 AC (4 windows down, 60 MPH). It's expected to be in the mid-90's (not usual for this area!) and possibly 100's by early next week.
My great great grandparents came over on the Oregon Trail. My great grandparents homesteaded a wilderness land, wrestling a life out of very little. I can't imagine the difficulties and sacrifices they made.
And yes, I sit in front of my fan, iced drink in hand, and grump it's too $%^ HOT!
I agree, if it were me, my family would still be in Holland and Germany... Here it's been an extreemly cool and very rainy summer.... Stay cool and keep the iced tea coming! Love and Light, Nina P.
My family would still be in England. I was born when I was because Heavenly Father knew what I could and couldn't do. I truly don't know how they survived. They are stronger than I am. So . . . I will sit in my air conditioned house and drive in my air conditioned car and never grumble or complain about the heat again. Pass me a cool lemonade!
Post a Comment