Thursday, March 19, 2009




Do you believe in the power of attraction? (no not that kind) I love genealogy and I have recovered and compiled histories for close to a hundred ancestors. The thing that I find amazing is, that when I start writing, information starts to gather. People call, books show up, new Internet sites pop up, pictures arrive on Google and disappear after. For example a few years ago I was writing a history for my Great,great,great grandfather, out of the blue I was struck with the idea of Googling the last name on image, and up pops this beautiful photo of him. I'm ecstatic! (it's the only picture I have of him by the way) But what is even more amazing is that on the same page is this headstone which is in a private inaccessible graveyard in Iowa. The inscription reads "Iris daughter of J & M Shelledy died 1850." Let me just say that I am possibly the only person on earth who would look at this and know who J & M Shelledy were. I had all their records and information about their 9 children, except for their 10th and oldest child Iris. I love it, it's like finding lost angels.

2 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

How very interesting! I googled our last name and discovered there's a Niquette Bay, with a Niquette Park somewhere on the Great Lakes. Really fun to know our family has roots out there. Most Niquettes are related--there aren't many of us!

Thanks for your description of Bind weed! I think they might be the same as the tiny morning glories that grow in the lawn of the Park downtown. Now I'll know not to transplant any of it into my garden!

I have a planter full of white morning glories--a little bigger than those little ones which twirl around everything--I keep it to itself, and every year in its efforts to escape, it grows wildly and beautifully onto a pole, and over onto the railing of our backdoor step. (Grin)

Mariah Kinnley said...

wow. i love your blog. it is really cool! mine is http://cutecatsrock.blogspot.com/

check it out!