Wednesday, January 27, 2010

ROCK ME TO SLEEP...


Rock Me To Sleep, Mother
~
BACKWARD, turn backward, O Time, in your flight, Make me a child again, just for to-night! Mother, come back from the echoless shore, Take me again to your heart as of yore; Kiss from my forehead the furrows of care, Smooth the few silver threads out of my hair; Over my slumbers your loving watch keep - Rock me to sleep, mother - rock me to sleep!

Backward, flow backward, O tide of the years! I am so weary of toil and of tears - Toil without recompense - tears all in vain - Take them, and give me my childhood again ! I have grown weary of dust and decay - Weary of flinging my soul-wealth away; Weary of sowing for others to reap - Rock me to sleep, mother - rock me to sleep...

...Mother, dear mother, the years have been long Since I last listened to your lullaby song; Sing, then, and unto my heart it shall seem Womanhood's years have been only a dream; Clasped to your heart in a loving embrace, With your light lashes just sweeping my face, Never hereafter to wake or to weep -
Rock me to sleep mother - rock me to sleep!
~
BY FLORENCE PERCY.
~
I love this poem it reminds me of my Great Grandmother who was always so dear to me. When ever we went to visit she always made me feel loved. I don't think we ever left her house without some of her homemade bottled raspberries and her frosted sugar cookies with sprinkles.

2 comments:

Clytie said...

What a beautiful reminder of "home".

Homemade bottled raspberries themselves sound like a little bit of heaven to me!

Beth Niquette said...

Grammie was beloved of my heart. She knew how to hug, too--she'd hold me closely against her ample self and rock--it was bliss.

Ah...I miss Grammie. Memories are so wonderful, aren't they?

Love you, sweet Sis o' mine!