When I was a kid I used to love to sleep outside at night. I would grab my dad's old 2 ton army green canvas sleeping bag and a silly girl friend or even my little brother for company. We would climb in the bed of our good ole International pick up truck and sleep out under the stars.And boy were there stars, billions of them we could see the Big Dipper and the North Star and the Milky Way and shooting stars. I haven't been able to see that many stars for a long time. Now when you look up you can only see a few twinkling in the night. They say it's because of light pollution, we can't see the stars out there because of so many lights on down here.
The stars used to be very important, people looked to the heavens for direction and guidance because they gave a perspective we can't get here on earth. Maybe we need to get away from our own lights once in awhile and gaze at the stars for a little insight.
3 comments:
Every once in a while I mourn the Milky Way, which we used to see from our house. It has been years and years. I nearly cried when I realized my own children didn't know what the Milky Way was - other than a candy bar!!! They had never seen it!
I agree--I remember when we were kids, we would all camp out on the big circle lawn, snuggling down into our blankets and sleeping bags. It was so quiet one could hear tunes in the air, and the milky way stretched overhead across the skies.
It's been awhile since I've been where the stars shine brightly in the ebony of night. Hmmmm.....
It is so different from where I live in the suburbs to where I grew up in the country… Though the stars may not be as visible as in my childhood; when I visit home… they still invite me into the mysteries of the night…. Gaze to the heavens and look past the stars to eternity….. Love and Light, Nina P.
Post a Comment