Tuesday, January 5, 2010

THE PLEASANT LAND OF COUNTERPANE...

art by Jesse Wilcox Smith
~
The Land of Counterpane

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.
And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;
And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.
I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.
by Robert Lewis Stevenson
~
Remember the days before TVs, video games and computers in every bedroom? When you were sick you stayed in bed and played with small toys or colored or read.
I love the works of Robert Lewis Stevenson and Jesse Wilcox Smith. Their art always elicits a sort of longing in me for the innocence and simple pleasures of yesteryear...our childhood lost...Happy memories.

3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Yes, I DO remember! I read a lot--when I was younger I would make up stories with my dolls. I still have my first doll--she was a Thumbalina doll. She was the size of a small baby and even after she lost her hair and her inner workings which made her wiggle, I loved her. I hand-sewed a new body and stuffed her with rags. She was the star of every story I made up.

I love these artists, too. I long for yesteryear, when we were children and life was a whole lot simple. Childhood lost, happy memories.

Yep. ((hugs)) I'm with ya, Sissy.

JANN said...

YES I REMEMBER THOSE DAYS TOO. WHEN SICK PLAYING IN BED WITH PAPER DOLLS. I WISH THOSE KIND OF TIMES WAS WITH US STILL TOO. IF ONLY WE COULD TURN BACK TIME.

Clytie said...

Ah yes, and when boredom struck, mom would let me have an old catalog and a pair of scissors ... I would cut out "dolls" and find "clothes" for them to wear. Simple times back then, but happy.