Thursday, April 2, 2009

NOTES FROM THE E.R.


It’s funny how every once in awhile life has to teach us who is really in charge. By taking our carefully scheduled life and all our well laid plans and obliterating them in a matter of seconds.
I had one of those, life altering seconds Monday. I was busy painting my granddaughters mural when my phone rang,
“ This is IMC Emergency, your father has suffered a cardiac arrest during his chemotherapy session, he is not doing well, and we can’t locate your mother.”
One phone call, one moment and my whole life is suddenly completely different, and not in a way that I would ever have chosen. It has become an hour to hour roller coaster ride of blips on a heart monitor and the honking of the respirator.
Awe but isn't life is suppose to be a learning experience. I pray that I take away every single bit of knowledge I am suppose to glean from this experience so I don’t have to repeat it.

I know the most important lesson is, if you love someone tell them now because you may never have another chance. ("see you later" has taken on a whole new meaning)
The biggest conclusion I have come to after watching all the doctors and nurses with their endless paraphernalia try to drag my Dad back from the brink; Is that there are far worse things then death. And I'm heading to the nearest tattoo parlor and have D.N.R. tattooed on my chest, that’s Do Not Resuscitate.

P.S. My Dad is finally out of his coma and doing much better today, it is still touch and go and he is still terminal. (aren't we all?) But I thank God for everyday, even if we have to do it His way sometimes.


5 comments:

Clytie said...

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Love and Peace.

Clytie said...

Just now when I submitted my comment, the word verification came up "WINGS". Somehow it seems appropriate!

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my dear friend....I'm so sorry. ((hugs)) I'm glad to hear your Dad is doing better--you are in my heart and prayers today.

May God fill the hearts of you and your family with His peace and strength.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. We have been on vacation this past week and I just found out about your dad on your blog. I am glad to hear that he is doing better, though. You are in our prayers and give our love to your mom and dad. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

The anonymous post is from your favorite home teachers, Boyd and Becky!